Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Rambling Vines

From marble to pingpon ball, to tennis ball, to grapefruit! My Paton Twins Giant Pumpkin is doubling in size daily!
 
 The one plant is being allowed to ramble over some spare ground. I have pinched out all the growing points and pinched off all other pumpkins so that all the plant's energy goes into the one pumpkin!
 My Runner Beans St George just love all this wet weather. This is a glut year for Runner Beanz!

 And the climbing courgette Black Forest is finally starting to crop! I just tie up the main shoot every couple of days.

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Well done with the pumpkin. I'm afraid I've no luck so far with my mammath or jack o lantern.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My pumpkin is about the size of your pumpkin lol...this year isn't a good year for squash is it.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Arron said...

Hi Matron great blog! This year I decided to create my own if you and your fellow posters fancy taking a look, thanks.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

If you haven't done so already.... while it's still this size and you can move it, put roof slate or quarry tile underneath it, to keep it off the soil, and prevent rotting underneath when it gets heavy. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>