Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, December 08, 2012

Marvellous Mercado

 Wherever I travel in the World I try to discover and visit the local fresh produce market. This one in Funchal, Madeira is one of my favourite.  Ripe fruit of every variety you could imagine are freshly picked and displayed at the 'Mercado dos Lavradores' in the town centre.
 You have to be careful that you know how much you are going to pay, the prices are not always displayed and some stallholders are quick to take advantage of tourists.
 I was interested to see these local squash for sale in the market. This variety seems to have a waxy or yeasty bloom on the surface and they are to be seen drying on rooftops all over the Island.
 These lovely peppers make for a fantastic display in the market.
Sugar cane is also an interesting ingredient for sale here.  More to follow!

4 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Lovely market photos...everything looks so fresh...I wouldn't know what to choose.
Continue to enjoy your stay.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Wow, looks fantastic. I love a good market. Since we started to grow veg it's all the more interesting to see variations on what you know as well as things that are completely unfamiliar.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Ebrar said...

Sooooo clean , nice pics.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Belinda Robinson said...

It would be hard to walk past there without coming away with bagfuls of fruit and veg. How lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>