Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pigeon Wars!

It's war out there Down on the Allotment!  my precious little broccoli seedings are being marmalized by gangs of delinquent hoodie pigeons!
I planted these 'Rudolph' early purple sprouting broccoli seeds in the Summer and I have nursed them through the Summer attack of slugs, snails and caterpillars. I do not intend to lose them now to a gang of cowardly pigeons. 
Don't get me wrong, I am not pigeon prejudiced, some of them are amazing creatures. Take 'Scotch Lass' for instance. in 1945 she was awarded the Dickin Medal for gallantry whilst serving in World War 2. Her citation read, "For bringing 38 micro photographs across the North Sea in good time although injured" that is my idea of a brave pigeon.
Or there is the sporty pigeon (who took a short break on my allotment earlier this year) who trains hard to achieve a peak of physical fitness in a display of awesome navigational skills and sporting prowess.
 Then there is the nasty, fat wood pigeon that lurks around and steals from my allotment. Despite hanging CDs, tin foil, cotton thread and owning a hunter-killer yellow Labrador.. I'm just not winning the battle. They just fly away up into a nearby tree and laugh at me, only returning to have another munch as soon as my back is turned.
I just may have to give up and wish them a very Merry Christmas.. wrapped in pastry and served with bread sauce, gravy.. oh yes.. and fresh broccoli!  Merry Christmas Mr Pigeon.

6 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Have you considered using nets? It is also said that a plastic model of bird of prey, suspended on a string from a tall pole, may deter pigeons.
Failing that, byt a shotgun...

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, I had some heads left on my summer ones that I was hoping to get bigger before the frosts, but alas, the pigeons got them. The only thing I can say is nets, nets, nets and don't take them off.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

So many pests in the garden. Pigeons, like most pests, will come back again and again until the plant is gone I suppose.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

A pvc frame and some netting should do the trick to keep those varmits at bay.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Birds are lovely, but they can be a pain, we fight our battles with Woodpeckers, Crows and Herons. The birds always win...too smart for us!

Love the pictures of your trip. A sunny locale in December, OH Yeah!

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

Tell me about it!

I had two beautiful big kales in my garden but they unfortunately fell victim to hungry hares. I didn't even have the chance to try it. I know it was hares who ate my kales because they left some droppings at the scene ;) I hope that at least hares were happy.

Greetings from Poland!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>