Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 01, 2013

Matron's Mastepiece

  My first picking of Broad Beans were just perfect this afternoon.  This variety Masterpiece was a purchase from a local garden centre because the early Spring was just too cold and wet to plant seeds.
 
 I picked them a bit smaller than usual so the beans inside were sweet and tender.
 My veggie-loving companion was trying to get in on the act too.
 Sitting in the warm sunshine on the patio shelling beans has to be a story as old as time.  This afternoon I sat with my Mum and she shelled them too.
and 80 years ago she sat with her Mum and did the same thing.  A story as old as time.

5 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Doc said...

They make your mouth water just looking at them. Because of my limited space in the Kitchen garden the only beans I continue to plant are the Mrs. Fortunes Climbing Beans that you so kindly shared in 2011. They are wonderful by the way.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

As I recall it, part of the Mum's role includes eating half of them raw...! (Applies to peas too)

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

A lovely occupation on a warm afternoon.I can never decide when to first pick the beans?!

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Maggie adores all beans and peas and has been known to sneakily eat them off the plants!!
I think there will be a broad bean harvest tomorrow :)
I do love shelling them, there's no history to it in our families but it just feels so right.
Love your basket I really need one but they all seem so dear :(
Hugs xx

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Lucy @ Smallest Smallholding said...

One of my earliest, most enduring memories of both summer and my grandparents is my grandmother (Nannie) sitting out on her little patio, popping pea pods in the sunshine. It's a very comforting task for me and one to be enjoyed by generations to come, I hope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>