Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, July 05, 2013

My First Tomato

Much has been said about how late everything is this year. So here is my first ripe tomato. This is a Sungold tomato grown in the greenhouse.  I have been wondering whether previous 'first tomatoes' have been earlier or later in the years I have been writing this blog. So....
2007 - June 18th
2009 - June 8th
2010 - July 6th
So there's not much in it really.  I think that with day length and heat that despite a difficult start they do sort of catch up in the end.  There's not much in it really.

5 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Hurrah - enjoy each little tomato-y moment of wonderment xx

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jealous! Mine are all still tiny green suggestions of tomatoes. Enjoy :)

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

mine are still flowering :(

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Robbie Palm said...

Greetings from American,
I enjoyed reading your blog! I agree with you about growing your own kitchen garden , eating out never is the same. I find it does not taste as good as what you grow in your own backyard/frontyard etc..
I stopped by since I was interested an allotments in Uk and how you grow food. I noticed you have problems with space,too. I have put things in the front yard , but this year I did not.
Our problem is not the people, but the deer that are multiplying too much in the city area! robbie

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Shebafudge said...

Food of the devil!

I hope it was tasty and you enjoyed it though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>