Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, August 01, 2014

The First Tomato

 I picked my first ripe tomatoes today.  Quite late this year. Last year it was early July, and in previous years it has been in June.  These are all outdoor grown Sungold tomatoes.
 
 One of the best tasting tomatoes ever!
 Meanwhile, I am disappointed in these Indigo Rose tomatoes.
 Launched with flare and a fanfare this Spring... I have plants sent to me by Suttons seeds, and seeds grown by me from Suttons. Well... the top and shoulders are black, but the rest is stubbornly green.
 It looks like the bottom half ripens to red while the top stays purple...Hmmm let's see what happens with the rest.  Not as I had expected.
 Interesting varieties from Seeds of Italy do not disappoint.  This round, melon cucumber from Manduria, Italy is coming along nicely. Lots and lots on the vine. Can't wait to taste this one.
 These lovely gold flat beans from Seeds of Italy are Meraviglia di Venezia. Tender, flat and prolific with really healthy looking foliage. What a winner!
Meanwhile the bucket of comfrey liquid sizzles away in a smelly corner of the garden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>