Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Digging for Victory Part 2

This was one of the most famous pictures for the second world war 'Dig for Victory' campaign.
Here's a few of my Winter squashes still nice and firm and dry. To keep a squash or pumpkin through the Winter you must be sure that the variety is a 'Winter squash' as the skins dry and harden enough to keep. Any other varieties will probably have rotted by now. These are Queensland blue squash 'Delicata' and Rouge vif D'Etamps.

4 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Many of my pumpkins are still well preserved too. What will you be doing with yours ?

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

How is Buddy doing?

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Your stash looks good! How is the taste of a blue squash different than a pumpkin? I want to try butternut squash this year. Finally cooked up some pumpkin and made pumpkin butter. More to cook. Still have some potatoes left also.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I may have told you this before Matron, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but it was my friend's grandfather who coined the wartime phrase 'Dig For Victory'. I remember how thrilled I was when he first told me this fact, because I've always loved the whole idea of the digging for victory campaign.

If the thaw continues, we may be able to dig ourselves again soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>