Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, January 08, 2010

Digging for Victory!

It's time once again to play 'tourist in my own town' I work a half day once every 5 weeks so I take advantage of being in a wonderful city.Big Ben actually refers to the bell which strikes the hour up in the clock tower and not the tower itself.
The Household Cavalry stand guard at Horseguards in Whitehall.
One of my most favourite artists is Edwin Landseer who designed these four lions which guard Nelsons Column in Trafalgar Square.
It has been so cold in Britain these past few weeks that the famous fountain in TSquare has frozen over!
I had always wanted to visit the Cabinet War Rooms - so I did! Churchill's wartime bunker during World War 2. From here deep under the seat of Government his War Cabinet sat and commanded the allied forces. I found out today that there was a state of the art, top secret phone line from the Prime Minister to the President of the United States. This secret telephone room was in a broom cupboard in the basement of Selfridges store in Oxford Street!
Whilst in the bookshop I couldn't help digging out a few historical books and postcards.
Dig for Victory!

12 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Looks like a fun tour! Thanks for sharing.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

I just love these entries!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Wishful Acres Farm said...

What a great picture of the clock tower with the ominous-looking clouds behind! Brrrrr....
Love the war-era propaganda pics.
http://all-natural-mama.blogspot.com

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

No matter how many times I visit London there is always something new to see. The war cabinet will be on my next itinerary, I never even knew it existed!

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger dinzie said...

Quite a place London ... Great place to visit ... love the last two pictures ..."Doctor carrot" good stuff :O)

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I have a Mr Middleton gardening book - After all, it's my name!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

I bought a number of those postcards from a Musuem recently, look like they are making a come-back! I think they would be nice framed.

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Thanks for letting me be a cyber tourist with you! Your fair City is one that I truly aspire to visit someday.

Just adore the victory garden memorabilia. Just shows that there really was a time when it was cool and patriotic to be a food production gardener - digging in the dirt.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Love that book about wartime gardening.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

They developed a new radar system partway through the war, which meant they were shooting down a lot of German night flyers. So, to hide the real reason, they put it about that British pilots could see in the dark because of the amount of carrots they were eating!

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous nic @ nip it in the bud said...

you might want to put the Imperial War Museum on your list this year then. They have a new 'Ministry of food' exhibition opening on 12th February all about growing, cooking and rationing in wartime Britain. It's when allotment gardening began so I'm sure you'll love it :o)

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Matron said...

nic - that's a great idea, I can even walk there from work! Might just do that. there is also an exhibition at the national gardening museum at Lambeth Palace, all about growing veg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>