Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Shetland Black Potatoes

I went to dig up some potatoes today. Nearly all the Shetland Black potatoes had started to grow roots and shoots. I wonder if the spell of really warm weather in the past few weeks has tricked them into thinking it was Spring?

7 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

It looks that way.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I have never seen or heard of a Black potato! thanks for posting.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

I wouldn't be surprised, Matron. Many people here have had plants blooming or leafing out of season.

I guess you have seed potatoes now?

 
At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No doubt the warm weather did it! Beautiful potatoes by the way!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We had mall shoots starting on our potatoes although not as advanced as yours - now the weather has cooled the growth seems to have stopped thankfully.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Hope they taste good, and you already have your start for next year!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Caro said...

You'll have had the same flurry of snow that I had in NW London this morning - that, and the recent chill in the air, should set the plants back on track. I've still got herbs and achoca growing (out of season) and shrubs that think it's spring and are starting to blossom!! Will you eat your spuds or replant them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>