Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Watched Pot...

 They say that a watched pot never boils. I've been going outside to the allotment every day to watch my pumpkin growing! It just seems to double in size every day!
 I decided to pick this Golden Jubilee tomato in the greenhouse today, in case the four legged theif gets to it before I do!
 A real heatwave today in London, well up in the 90s and humid too!
 Has anyone else had a bad year for apples? My Bramley apple tree is just awful this year. It must have been the very wet Spring and early Summer.
Hardly any apples, and what little ther is are small and spotted!

6 Comments:

At 1:29 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

True, watch pot never boil, but that pumpkin is coming along nicely, and will soon be ready for the pot.
Sorry about the apple crop this year.
I would hope that you still shared a slice of the tomato with Leo.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

All our top fruit has been poor this year. Quince and pears set then fell off and apples are just very small and bleimshed in spite of plenty of fruit.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Hi Sue, happy to report that after your pollination advice our pumpkins are also now swelling nicely. I'm quite amazed how quickly they grow. I read somewhere that once the fruit gets to the desired size you should chop back the plant so the sun (ho ho) can ripen the fruit. You do that?

Lee

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Lee said...

ps, sorry for calling you Sue; getting my blogs mixed up!!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Lee - no I don't chop back. I leave the pumpkin on the vine for as long as possible, right up until just before the first frost so that it can benefit from the daylight. After picking it must be cured, somewhere warm and bright for the skin to harden.

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Tira said...

Your pumpkins are looking great. I just set my pumpkin seeds out a couple weeks ago ad more to set out in October.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>