Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Turmeric Tea

Last Spring I planted a few fresh turmeric roots in a pot in the greenhouse and I was pleased that they grew into this attractive looking plant.
So now in the depths of Winter inside the greenhouse I was curious to see what was underneath the plant.  It will survive quite well if protected from the frost and kept cool and dry.
So there were plenty of roots down to the bottom of the pot.
and many of the roots had fattened up into these thicker roots.
Quite brittle and easy to snap off I took a few of these turmeric roots indoors.  I separated and re-potted the other plants so they will grow away in the Spring.
Meanwhile back indoors (and wearing gloves to protect from the staining) I peeled and chopped these three little Turmeric roots.
Added a spoonful of honey and ground them in a pestle and mortar into a paste.  Optional ingredients that can also be added here are ground black pepper and fresh ginger root.
Turmeric has been used for centuries as a powerful medicine.  It contains anti-inflammatory properties and is used for the relief of joint pain and arthritis.
Just added a cupful of hot milk and some hot tea from the teapot.. and hey presto!  A lovely, soothing, warming Winter drink. 

7 Comments:

At 5:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

this is interesting...we, the asian normally use the roots and the leaves as cooking ingredients...and also as remedial herbs

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Wow Matron, I never thought of using tumeric this way in a tea. I always use it to flavour stews and sauces and in some other savoury dishes and stir-fry rice.

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Rachael said...

Apparently it is also good for irritable bowels...

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, you are always ready to try out something new!I have recently been recommended to use turmeric for my sinus?!I think it is the anti inflammatory properties which I think are relevant.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Intrigued! Where did you get your turmeric roots to start with, were they standard culinary roots or "for growing" ones?

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Lee - a very kind blogger sent them to me, they are fresh ones you find in either Chinese or Indian shops.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use Turmeric to give me relief whenever I've fractured a bone due to osteoporosis. Bones break easily and I have learned that I can reduce pain and inflammation, both with Turmeric, and by eating a healthy organically grown plant based diet with lots of dark leafy greens (rich in calcium and magnesium), boron and other nutrients in beans, seeds and nuts, and a variety of healthy veggies and fruits.

The Turmeric works better than Advil for my pain and inflammation and does not cause a corrosion and bleeding in my stomach. In fact, it works so well, that I never took the Hydrocodone my physician prescribed for a fractured pelvis. I made Turmeric tea, used it as a root to flavor my veggies and beans instead, and instantly found relief.

I am very interested in growing the plant to increase my supply, as getting organically grown turmeric is expensive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>