Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hot Stuff!

 On a freezing January day when the temperatures are below freezing I suddenly had the urge to go shopping for something fresh, spicy and full of vitamins. So I drove to my favourite Asian supermarket in Southall and did some shopping for a selection of ingredients to brighten up an otherwise dull weekend indoors.  Don't these Scotch bonnet chillis look amazing?  Hot enough to open up your sinuses if they happen to be blocked!
 And a fellow blogger was asking me recently where I obtained my fresh Turmeric root in order to grow some in my greenhouse. Well here you are.  There are actually two different types of Turmeric here.
The white turmeric on the left, and the more familiar yellow turmeric on the right.  Click on the photo to enlarge the picture and you can see clearly that it is related to ginger.  I have only just begun to read and learn about the claimed health benefits of turmeric.

3 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

How many Scoville units do you think there are, in aggregate, in that tray of Scotch Bonnets??!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

We use Scotch Bonnet peppers here all the time. Almost every kitchen gardener has a scotch bonnet pepper tree. When we speak of hot peppers, we are referring to scotch bonnet most of the time. They are used daily.
Had no idea that there was a white turmeric....interesting.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Right that's it I NEED to get to our nearest Asian supermarket right now (only it wouldn't be open and it's very cold and snowy outside so umm...)

I'm going to grow my own ginger this year and I've just, literally just had yellow turmeric in my rice :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>