Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Seeds Arrived

You know Spring cannot be far round the corner when the first parcel of seeds arrive in the post! I am trying mostly to collect my own seeds wherever possible, but some specific varieties and F1 hybrids have to be purchased.
Here are Runner Bean 'St George' a new one this year already with spectacular reviews from trials last year where it was awarded the AGM.
Pea 'Hurst Green Shaft' I've not tried before but sounds tender and prolific.
Courgette 'Black Forest' my lovely climbing courgette.
Courgette 'Soleil' a yellow one I've not tried before but is resistant to mildew.
Brussels Sprout ' Bosworth F1' never grown sprouts, will give them a go for the first time!

11 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger lilymarlene said...

You asked on my blog about the pumpkin storage. We have eaten it all now.....but it did last 14 months from harvest to eating it. I think that is amazing...

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Ribbit said...

I just love sprouts, but I could never grow them when I tried. I may just try again this fall....maybe.

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I just got my confirmation email that my big Territorial Seed order is "on it's way"! Just in time too... I need my onion seed as they are scheduled to get started this weekend.

I think you will enjoy growing brussel sprouts. They are a funky plant to look at and the sprouts are so so much better tasting when harvested and then taken straight to the table.

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

I'm sure that having these seeds makes you feel better from having to buy store tomatoes, huh? Pretty soon you'll have your own to speak of...and eat of course lol

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi Matron, I think you will like the yellow soleil courgettes, we did them for the first time last year and they were brilliant and yummy!
Marian (LondonUK)

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Looking at seed packets really makes your fingers itch, doesn't it?

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Hurst green shaft is lovely!
We haven't gathered many seeds up yet *shame* this whole house moving thing is rather time consuming, darn it! We'll get there though. Congrats on your little parcel of spring xx

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Jo said...

It's so exciting when the seed order drops through the letterbox, anticipation of the growing season ahead.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, I got most of my seeds, I reckon I am going to start off some Tomatoes this week. Your Blackberry is cool, I just got one is a modern version of the Sony Cle that I showed you yesterday. I'm sure you will find it very useful. Its amazing what they can fit in to such small devices. Bob.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Is the Wiz said...

Some stuff I've learned about sprouts - Stake them, give them lime and really firm the ground they're in or the sprouts will be loose. If you're fleecing them to deter cabbage whites, keep it off the tops or they'll go mouldy.And watch out for pigeons!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

I have sorted out my seeds and now have three lists....those I have, those I need and those I want!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>